Friday, May 6, 2011

Happy employees

This morning I was chatting with the cashier at my local grocery. I learned that she recently transferred from another store. I asked her if she liked the move and she said she loved it. She then told me that her commute changed from 5 minutes to 60 minutes. What? Why would she do such a thing, I asked. Because she wanted to work for her favorite manager, she said. He was the best boss she's ever had and she was willing to drive two hours a day to work for him.


Wow! That says so much about that manager. What makes happy employees? There are many things that contribute, but I have observed over and over again that giving clear expectations is one of keys to employee happiness. This gal's boss is an excellent communicator. In chatting with her, she told me that he:

  • tells his people what he expects
  • gives them good training 
  • gives them the right tools and equipment for the job
  • talks to them about how they are doing on the job 
  • cares about them personally
  • is fair and consistent
  • gives perks and rewards for people who go above and beyond
  • has a good attitude about his own job
Do you have happy employees? Check this store manager's list. How many of these attributes would your staff say about you? 

Let SHINE Consulting help you have happy employees! Drop me a note and we can chat about how we can make it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love that you've taken the time to comment. Please be patient, your words will be posted as soon as possible.